Privacy Statement – For John Wilkins (Motor Engineers) Ltd Trading as John Wilkins Cars - Established 1957
When you use our services you agree to our updated privacy statement.
John Wilkins Cars respects your concerns about privacy. This privacy notice describes the types of personal information we obtain about customers and other individuals identified below, how we may use the information, with whom we may share it, and the choices available regarding our use of the information. The Privacy Notice also describes the measures we take to safeguard the personal information and how individuals can contact us about our privacy practices.
- Collecting personal information – In order for us to be able to fulfil a range of services for you, both online and in branch, it is sometimes necessary to collect data about you. We obtain standard contact information i.e. Full name including status, postal address, telephone contact numbers including mobiles, email addresses, gender, date of birth (in relation to new vehicle registration – a basic requirement of DVLA which may be shared and stored by the DVLA, the relevant manufacturer, relevant Financial services provider or other lender, bank, Insurer etc.) This may be collected by any one of our departments i.e. Sales department, Accounts department or Aftersales department.
We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal information:
- information that you provide to us when registering with our website (including your email address)
- information that you provide when completing your online profile (including your name, gender, date of birth and any educational details and employment details you provide)
- information that you provide to us when signing up to any distribution lists to receive correspondence from us
- information relating to any purchases you make of our goods or services, including any other transaction details made via any of our websites (including your address, telephone number and payment details including Bank account details for the purpose of Standing Orders)
- The way we collect and use personal Credit card information is dealt with under a separate PCI compliance Policy in accordance with PCI regulations. Annual compliance testing is managed by SecurityMetrics in the USA.
Our Legal Basis for Processing Data
At John Wilkins Cars our legal basis for processing data is legitimate interest and soft opt in. This means we will contact you in cases where we have a legitimate reason to do so i.e. booking you vehicle in for service etc. It also means that we may from time to time send existing customers marketing material, however there is always an option to opt out from this kind of correspondence.
- Using personal information
Personal data we receive will be used for the purposes it was provided, including:
- Meeting the terms of your order
- enabling your use of the services available on our website or in branch
- sending you goods purchased through our website or in branch
- to supply to you services purchased through our website or in branch
- sending statements, invoices and payment reminders to you, and collecting payments from you
- sending you our email newsletter, if you have requested it (you can inform us at any time if you no longer require the newsletter)
- providing third parties with statistical information about our users (but those third parties will not be able to identify any individual user from that information)
- Disclosing personal information
- We may disclose your personal information to any of our relevant Franchise partners, lenders, staff, agents, suppliers or subcontractors where it would be reasonable to do so. (If consent is necessary to facilitate this sharing we will ensure it is obtained prior to processing)
- We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group of companies where it would be reasonable to do so including a third party engaged in business continuity. (If consent is necessary to facilitate this sharing we will ensure it is obtained prior to processing)
- If legally obliged to disclose your personal information
- to the extent that we are required to do so by law
- in connection with any ongoing or prospective legal proceedings
- in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk)
- to any person who we reasonably believe may apply to a court or other competent authority for disclosure of that personal information where, in our reasonable opinion, such court or authority would be reasonably likely to order disclosure of that personal information.
- Except as provided in this policy, we will not provide your personal information to third parties.
- Security Policy and personal information
- We will take all reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
- We will store all the personal data you provide on our secure Dealer Management and Customer Prospecting servers – all password protected - and manual Good Manners diaries including desk diaries.
- Customers home or work delivery addresses may also be stored in an in car Satellite Navigation System owned by the customer or a delivery vehicle owned by the company to facilitate deliveries.
- Social media used by the company may interact with customers’ social media platforms in good faith.
- All details of financial transactions entered via our website will be protected by encryption technology if installed.
- Please be aware that whilst we take every reasonable action to secure any information you provide us online, the internet is not always completely secure.
We will retain your personal data for no longer than is necessary and usually no longer than 6 years after your contract is over (unless otherwise required by law or for insurance purposes)
- Your rights
- You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you, via a Subject Access Request.
- Upon receipt of such a request we will, after confirming identity, provide all relevant data we may hold to you in the most practical format unless otherwise stipulated and reasonably possible.
- We may withhold personal information that you request to the extent permitted by law.
- If you instruct us to no longer process your personal data we will do so as quickly as possible.
- If you instruct us to destroy any/all of your personal data we may hold we will do so as quickly as possible.
- If you instruct us to cease all processing for marketing purposes we will do so as quickly as possible.
- Cookies – Website cookies may be requested from our website builders Autoweb via our websites at or A cookie is a small amount of data that is sent to your web browser and enables us to monitor traffic on our websites track user journeys and monitor success of email campaigns.
- ICO Registration
We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner's Office and our registration number is: Z7487267
- Data Protection Officer – Stephen Wilkins, Managing Director.
- Any Data Protection issues can be directed to Stephen Wilkins via email@example.com
Published May 2018